August 31, 2005 - A dedication ceremony for the newly renovated Artillery and Cavalry Shelters Area at Sylvan Springs Park will be sponsored by the county Parks and Recreation Department at 10 a.m. today — Sept. 1.
This fully accessible area of the south county park features two new shelters as well as new restroom facilities and a new spray pool.
The ceremony will feature remarks from County Executive Charlie A. Dooley and an informal tour of the renovations by the project architect.
To reach this section of Sylvan Springs Park from Interstate 255 take Telegraph Road north to Sherman Avenue, turn right on Sherman Avenue, turn right onto Boundary Road and turn left into the first park entrance. The ceremony will take place at the Artillery and Cavalry Shelters.
Sylvan Springs Park is one of the oldest and most beautiful parks in the St. Louis County park system of 69 parks. It originally was created by the U.S. Army in 1939. Funding from a 2001 state tax initiative distributed by Great Rivers Greenway — formerly known as the Metropolitan Parks and Recreation District — permitted the completion of the first phase of the 2003 master plan for the park. The master plan was created with input by the public provided at public forums and meetings.
For more information about the dedication ceremony, call (314) 615-PARK.