Getting the most from your heating and cooling system
December 29, 2004 - Properly installed and maintained, your heating and cooling system should give you years of trouble-free service.
|Don't let high fuel costs get you hot under the collar. A new furnace can help.|
Here are some tips to keep your furnace and cooling system energy costs down while increasing the life of your unit.
1. Maintain it Regularly
• Check your air-supply inlets and return outlets and keep them clear of obstructions and debris.
• Keep outside units clean of leaves, brush and dirt.
• Check air filters monthly during the operating season and replace them when they are dirty, or clean if washable.
• Seal your home properly. This can cut your energy bills up to 10 percent and put less strain on your system.
2. Program and Save
• A programmable thermostat can decrease wear and save on energy. A Maytag Heating and Cooling dealer can help you choose the right programmable thermostat for your home.
• If your heating or central cooling system thermostat is not digital, invest in a programmable one.
• Set the programmable thermostat so it automatically turns the system up or down when you are out for the day or asleep at night.
3. Schedule a Pre-Season Checkup
• Have your air conditioner or heating system inspected by a professional contractor in early spring or late fall. This can save you money and prevent a premature breakdown.
• Your contractor should be a certified HVAC technician-licensed, well-trained, insured and bonded.
4. Consider a New System
• If your cooling or heating system is over 10 years old, a new, more efficient system may save you money in the long run, be more reliable, and manage your heating and cooling needs better.
• New systems can have up to a 40 percent energy savings over older systems. This could pay back the cost of the new equipment several times over the life of the equipment.
• Make sure that the system you choose has the features you want, is the proper capacity for your home, has a good warrantee and has a reputation for reliability. You may be glad to know Maytag Heating and Cooling products are triple checked on the manufacturing line, as well as 100 percent computer tested for reliability.